‘Propped bottle’ warning over baby death

    Chloe Masters Image copyright MEDIALINCS
    Image caption Alex Masters passed away whilst in the care of his godmother

    A coroner has actually cautioned versus offering children “propped up” bottles of milk after a four-month-old passed away when he was delegated feed alone in his safety seat.

    Alex Masters choked to death on his milk after godmother dropped off to sleep on the couch at her flat.

    An inquest was informed Miss Sawyer had actually provided him a bottle of milk with a blanket propped beneath it.

    stated although it was not prohibited, children feeding from a propped bottle needs to be monitored.

    Claire Sawyer Image copyright MEDIALINCS
    Image caption The child’s mom stated she did unknown her kid was oversleeping a safety seat at Miss Sawyer’s flat

    The baby, from , passed away after being required to on 3 October, 2015.

    Miss Sawyer, who was babysitting Alex overnight, was apprehended on suspicion of murder however criminal charges were never ever brought since of an absence of proof.

    Friday’s inquest at was informed Miss Sawyer had a history of controlled substance taking however toxicology reports had actually revealed she had actually not taken any on the night she was taking care of Alex.

    She was questioned by the infant’s mom Chloe Masters, 18 and declared she dropped off to sleep after offering him bottle of milk on the couch.

    But the inquest heard she informed a nurse that “she had actually eliminated a child” after putting him in his safety seat with a propped bottle of milk.

    Coroner Stuart Fisher Image copyright Medialincs
    Image caption Alex Masters was hurried to however might not be resuscitated

    Giving a narrative decision, the coroner stated Miss Sawyers was an “undependable witness” and concluded that she had actually left the child to feed because method.

    A post-mortem assessment discovered Alex had actually breathed in milk into his lungs.

    It likewise discovered he had 2 leg fractures that police concluded were non-accidental however were not able to identify how he got them due to the fact that of the variety of individuals who took care of him near the time of his death. If she had actually understood he was sleeping in an automobile seat, #peeee

    Miss Masters informed the hearing she would never ever have actually enabled Alex to remain with Miss Sawyer.

    Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-43016506